Back-to-school time is just around the corner, with the cooler Fall temperatures nipping along right behind it. That means it’s time to get the apples out. If you are looking for a perfect back-to-school or fall-themed treat, these apple Oreo cake balls will fit the bill nicely!
These no-bake treats are made with Oreos and cream cheese, and then made to look like apples with red chocolate candy melts, and green M&M’s. They are really easy to make and delicious as well.
Apple Oreo Treats
If you have ever had an Oreo truffle before these are very similar, and then they are decorated to look like apples.
These apple Oreo treats are perfect for celebrating the first day of school as a snack for your kids. You could also make a batch as a teacher gift for the first day back. These apple Oreo balls would also be perfect for serving at a fall festival or party.
You could even serve them as a fun treat at Thanksgiving. The kids (and adults) will absolutely love them!
Make your back to school gifts extra sweet with these free apple gift tags. Print them on card stock, hole punch them then add gingham ribbon to tie the treat bag closed.
You can also print them on stick paper to make super cute apple stickers to add the the front of your gift box. Either way you choose to use them, they are the perfect touch to your yummy back-to-school treat.
Oreo Cake Balls Recipe
To make a batch of apple Oreo balls you will need Oreos, pretzel sticks, softened cream cheese, green M&M’s, and red chocolate candy melts.
For equipment, you will need a parchment-lined baking sheet, a stand mixer, and a microwave-safe bowl. Once you have gathered your ingredients and supplies it is time to make your no-bake apple Oreo treat.
Put your Oreos in the mixer and turn it on low until the cookies have turned into a fine mixture. Add the softened cream cheese and mix until a soft dough has been formed, making sure to scrape down the sides of your bowl so none of your mixture gets left behind.
Cover the dough with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, but as long as overnight. When you are ready to make the balls, remove the dough mixture from the refrigerator and roll it into tablespoon sized balls.
Place the ball onto your prepared baking sheet and into the freezer for one hour.
Now it is time to melt your red chocolate candy melts in the microwave-safe bowl. Melt the candy in 15-second intervals making sure to stir in between each one, so that your chocolate melts smoothly and doesn’t burn.
Once your red candy melts are melted you are ready to dip your Oreo balls into the chocolate. Dip each ball and place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Add a green M&M and a piece of a pretzel stick for the stem immediately before the chocolate begins to harden.
When all of your apple Oreo balls are complete, place them in the refrigerator to harden. Test the firmness, to make sure they are ready to serve. Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in a cool place.
These apple Oreo cake balls are absolutely adorable and would make a perfect treat for back to school, any Fall or Halloween party, or even as a teacher appreciation gift. They are simple to make and just full of chocolate Oreo flavor that everyone will love.
More Fall Recipes
Not ready to make these Oreo treats? Pin the image to your snacks Pinterest board so it’s easy to find when you need it!
- Family sized pack of Oreos, 36 cookies
- 8 oz Cream cheese, softened
- 12 oz Red chocolate melts
- Green M&Ms
- Pretzel stick pieces
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place Oreo cookies in a stand mixer with paddle attachment.
- Mix at low speed until all of the Oreos are crushed into a fine cookie crumble.
- Add cream cheese to the mixing bowl.
- Mix on medium speed until a soft dough forms.
- Cover the dough in plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
- After 30 minutes, remove the dough from the fridge and roll it into tablespoon sized balls.
- Place the balls on the cookie sheet, then in the freezer for 1 hour to chill.
- After an hour, melt the chocolate melts in a microwave-safe bowl in 15 to 30 second intervals. Check and stir between each time so that the chocolate doesn't burn.
- Once the candy is melted, remove the cake balls from the fridge and dip them in the melted chocolate using a fork.
- Place dipped cake balls back on the prepared baking sheet and immediately push a pretzel stick piece through the top with an M&M next to it to make the leaf.
- Place the chocolate cookie balls in the fridge and allow them to harden completely before serving.