Tater tots aren’t just for lunch and dinner, with this cheesy tater tot casserole breakfast will never be the same. Imagine waking up to a delicious breakfast casserole straight out of the oven. Grab your coffee and your weekend is off to a great start!
Easy Tater Tot Casserole
This quick and easy to make tater tot breakfast casserole combines ground breakfast sausage, cheddar cheese, and eggs mixed together to make the perfect morning meal.
Add in some tater tots for a little bit of extra crunch and you’re all set! This casserole can be made ahead of time and baked in the morning, or it can be cooked all at once if you’re short on time.
Can I Reheat Tater Tot Casserole?
Yes! Tater tot casseroles can be reheated in the oven or even microwaved. It’s one of those rare recipes that actually tastes even better the next day.
Make the tater tot breakfast casserole on the weekend and enjoy it for breakfast during the week when you’re in a hurry.
Just make sure you heat them until the leftovers are hot and bubbly throughout.
How to Make Tater Tot Casserole
One of the best things about this dish is that it’s so easy to make. And because you can use frozen tater tots, it’s easy to keep the ingredients on hand for a quick meal to serve for brunch, after sleepovers, or outside for a lazy summer morning breakfast.
The secret to make a crisp top with a warm, gooey center is all in the cooking method.
Unlike many potato-based casseroles, the tater tots go into the casserole dish last, not first. This will help them get nice and crispy on top and leaves the sausage and cheese to absorbing all the eggy goodness.
The ground sausage is cooked in a skillet, then added along with all of the other ingredients to the casserole dish.
The mixture is then baked until everything is hot and bubbly. If you have any cheese lovers in your family, feel free to sprinkle a little extra on top before serving.
What to Serve with Tater Tot Casserole
This dish is hearty enough to stand on its own, but if you want to add a little something extra, serve it with some chopped green onions, diced tomatoes, or even salsa for a spicy kick.
A simple side of fruit is always a good idea, or if you’re looking for something heartier, try serving it with some toast or biscuits.
No matter how you serve it, this tater tot casserole is sure to be a hit! So the next time you’re looking for an easy breakfast recipe, give this one a try.
Trust me, you’re going to love this cheesy tater tot casserole!
Not ready to make this cheesy tater tot casserole? Pin them to your Dinner Ideas board on Pinterest so you can find it easily when you need it.
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes
- 1 lb Ground sausage
- 8 large Eggs
- 3/4 cup Half and half
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb Frozen tater tots
- Preheat the oven to 350 ℉.
- In a medium skillet, cook the ground sausage over medium heat while breaking into small pieces until no longer pink.
- Remove skillet from heat, drain grease from sausage and set aside.
- Grease a 9' x 13' glass baking dish with cooking oil spray.
- Spread the crumbled sausage in an even layer over the bottom of the baking dish.
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs, half and half, garlic powder, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture over the sausage in the baking dish.
- Top with the shredded cheese.
- Place frozen tater tots evenly over the top of sausage, egg and cheese mixture. Do not submerge tater tots.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let it sit for 5 minutes before serving.