Chinese food lovers, it’s time to celebrate! Now you can make your favorite restaurant’s super delicious PF Chang’s Mongolian Beef recipe at home. There is no need to spend money on an expensive Asian restaurant dinner when you can make this Mongolian beef instant pot recipe right in your own kitchen.
Why This Recipe Works
This Mongolian Beef recipe uses the Instant Pot, which allows you to make quick, easy meals. And we all know that’s #momgoals. I’m obsessed with pressure cooker recipes because they take a fraction of the cooking time than slow cookers need.
It really is the perfect dinner to easily put together when you really don’t feel like cooking or when dinnertime sneaks up on you. That’s not just me, right?
This Instant Pot Mongolian Beef recipe serves up to 6 people so it would be a great healthy supper choice to feed the whole family. With all the delicious ingredients, your kiddos are sure to love it too!
What is Mongolian Beef?
Mongolian beef is a Chinese dish that consists of juicy, tender pieces of beef slowly cooked in an aromatic sauce. It’s seasoned with garlic, ginger and other spices for flavor perfection.
And because it’s made with shaved beef instead of ground meat, the dish gets its name from the way the meat is cut to resemble “hong ma,” or the red braids of Mongolian soldiers.
What Meat is Used for PF Chang’s Mongolian Beef?
Traditional recipes use thinly sliced flank steak, which is easy to find at most grocery stores. It can be found in the freezer section or at the fresh meat counter.
Ingredients in PF Chang’s Copycat Mongolian Beef Sauce
The ingredients used in this recipe are versatile and can be tweaked to your taste preference. If you don’t like spicy food, cut down on the amount of red pepper flakes that go into this authentic PF Chang’s Mongolian Beef.
How to Make Mongolian Beef in the Instant Pot
With savory flank steak, soy sauce, ginger and garlic Mongolian beef is a delicious dinner option. The recipe calls for an Instant Pot but you could also make it on the stove with a few easy tweaks.
You can also substitute light brown sugar for the dark brown sugar. If spicy isn’t your thing, you can also leave out the red pepper flakes.
What to Serve with Mongolian Beef
We served this Mongolian Beef over rice with steamed broccoli, so the kids would eat it. I love to serve side dishes that are simple and quick for meals like this one.
Keto Mongolian Beef
If you’re trying to eat low carb, make the recipe keto by serving the Mongolian beef over steamed broccoli or green beans. You’ll also want to adjust the recipe by using coconut aminos instead of soy sauce. Substitute the brown sugar for a sweetener that is approved for a keto diet like stevia or monk fruit.
You can also try serving your Mongolian beef as a lettuce wrap instead of over rice or noodles. It’s delicious! You’ll save carbs and be able to eat more ooey-gooey goodness.
How to Store Mongolian Beef Leftovers
The dish is even better the next day. Just store leftovers in an airtight container, heat it up in a microwave and serve over rice like you would leftover Chinese food.
This Instant Pot Mongolian Beef recipe is so easy to make- all you have to do is follow the directions! The best part about it is that you can use it as a base recipe and customize it to your liking. It’s a great instant pot high protein recipe your whole family will love!
We hope you enjoy this authentic PF Chang’s China Bistro Mongolian Beef recipe and all of our Instant Pot recipes. If you can’t get enough Asian instant pot recipes, try this PF Chang’s copycat lettuce wrap recipe. It’s a quick and light dinner option on busy weeknights!
- 1 1/2 pounds Flank Steak
- 1/2 cup Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3/4 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 3/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Low Sodium Beef Broth
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp Fresh Ginger minced
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 4 Green Onions sliced
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
- Cut the flank steak into thin, bite-size slices.
- Add the pieces of flank steak into a medium-sized bowl and sprinkle the cornstarch over each piece of beef.
- With your hands or a large spoon, mix well until every piece of the steak is coated.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the soy sauce, beef broth, brown sugar, white wine vinegar, ginger, olive oil, garlic, ginger, and the red pepper flakes.
- If there isn’t enough oil, the cornstarch from the meat will stick to the pan, and the Instant Pot will burn the remnants on the bottom of the pan.
- After the oil is hot, carefully put the steak in the instant pot a little at a time. I suggest dividing the meat into three sections to give the meat plenty of room to brown.
- Brown each piece of meat. Once the steak is browned, remove it from the Instant Pot and put it to the side.
- Repeat until all of your meat is browned.
- Turn off “sauté” mode.
- Return all of the meat to the pot, and pour the sauce over it.
- Put the lid on, and in the lock position.
- Close the sealing valve.
- Set the Instant Pot to high pressure for 10 minutes of cook time.
- When the 10 minutes are done, do a quick pressure release.
- Stir in your green onions and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve & enjoy!