Witch Hat Cupcakes
It’s almost Halloween so that means ghosts, goblins, and witches abound! That also means that it is time to make all kinds of spooky treats to share. If you are looking for a fun Halloween treat to share this year then you’ll love this cute and easy to make Halloween treat. This Halloween witch hat cupcakes recipe is the one that you have been looking for.
You may be thinking there is no way that I could make these beautifully decorated Halloween cupcakes, but you can. They look awesome and taste amazing, but they come together really easily…promise!
This witch hat cupcake recipe is a favorite around here because it is easy to make with a boxed cake mix. The homemade frosting is also super easy to make. These Halloween cupcakes will be the star of the show wherever you decide to serve them.
These adorable Halloween cupcakes would be perfect served at a Halloween party at home or taken to school as a classroom treat. You could whip up a batch of these Hocus Pocus themed cupcakes for a movie night this October.
How to Make Witch Hat Cupcakes
if you have kiddos who are interested in helping, this is a great recipe that can work right into a lesson. Not only is it fun for the kids to place the cookies and kisses to make the witch hat, you can talk about colors when you’re mixing up the cupcake mix and frosting.
Ready to make these fun Halloween witch cupcakes? Let’s get started!
- Mixing bowls
- Cupcake pans & liners
- Piping bag fitted with 1M star tip
- White cake mix (any brand)
- Egg whites
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract
- Electric purple or violet gel food coloring
- Unsalted butter, room temperature
- Cream cheese, room temperature
- Confectioners sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Heavy cream
- Green food coloring, gel
- Fudge striped cookies or chocolate wafer cookies like Oreo thins
- Hershey kiss chocolate candies
- Cupcake liners
For the cupcakes, you will need a boxed white cake mix, egg whites, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and purple food coloring. You will also need a cupcake pan and liners. This recipe will make 24 witch hat cupcakes.
Make sure you are not following the recipe on the cake mix box, but following the recipe found on the recipe card below instead. If you need more than 24 cupcakes for a big party or Halloween gathering just double or triple your recipe.
To make the icing for these cupcakes you will need butter, confectioner’s sugar, cream cheese, vanilla extract, heavy cream, and green food coloring. This icing is simple to make and will come out light, fluffy, and delicious.
You will also need 24 Hershey’s kisses, and 24 fudge striped cookies to complete your cupcake decoration. These two items will be transformed into the witch hats that sit on top of the cupcakes.
Once your cupcakes are baked and fully cooled, and your icing is made, it’s time to put these Halloween treats together. Put your green frosting into your piping bag and pipe a thick circle of icing on the top of each cupcake starting in the center and working your way outward.
Place a cookie upside down on the top of each cupcake to make the Halloween witch hat. The chocolate-covered side of the cookie should be facing up, now put a small dot of icing in the center of the cookie for your Hershey’s kiss.
Voila, your cute witch hat cupcakes are complete!
Leftover cupcakes can be stored in the refrigerator, or an airtight container on the counter for three to four days. You could also make them a day or two in advance if you are planning a Halloween celebration.
These Halloween cupcakes look and taste amazing, and like they came from a bakery, but as you can see you can easily make a batch of them in your kitchen at home.
Not ready to make these witch hat cupcakes? Pin the image below to your Halloween Treats Pinterest Board so it’s easy to find when you need it!
Perfect for a surprise after-school snack, a family night dessert, or to serve at your next Halloween party. Kids and adults will love the look and taste of these witch hat cupcakes.
Witch Hat Cupcakes
These witch hat cupcakes are almost too cute to eat!
- 1 package white cake mix (any brand)
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 drop electric purple or violet gel food coloring
- 2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 drop electric green gel food color
- 24 fudge striped cookies
- 24 Hershey’s kisses
- Add all of the ingredients for the cupcakes to a mixing bowl and mix.
- Divide the mix evenly between 24 cupcake liners
- Bake for 15-18 mins until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool in the pans for 10 mins, then move and let them finish cooking on a counter or cooling rack.
- Add butter and cream cheese to mixing bowl. Mix together until creamy.
- Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix on low.
- Slowly add in the heavy cream mixing as you go.
- Add in a drop of food gel color and mix for 4-5 mins on high.
- This will incorporate air and make the frosting light and fluffy.
- Decorating (you will need to refer to the decorating basics bundle)
- Fit a piping bag with a tip 1M and add frosting to the bag.
- Pipe a thick circle starting in the center of the cupcake.
- Place a cookie upside down on the cupcake.
- Add frosting to the bottom of the Hershey’s Kiss candy and attach to the cookie.